Thursday, January 17, 2013

Clean Red Beans, Sausage, and Rice

Clean Eat Recipe :: Red Beans and Rice

This is what you all have been waiting for...I just know it! This is by far my favorite clean recipe, and my husband would agree. It is filling, delicious, and has a kick to it! Be sure to add these ingredients to your grocery list and put this on the menu next week. You will not be sorry!

Clean Red Beans and Rice
Source: http://www.heandsheeatclean.com/2012/01/clean-eat-recipe-red-beans-and-rice.html

Ingredients:
1 1/2 cups Brown Rice
3 cups water
1 tbsp olive oil
1 onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, chopped
1 lb Organic Turkey Sausage, sliced approximately 1/2 inch rounds
3 cans of red beans, rinsed (I only use one 15 oz can and that is plenty)
1 1/2 c Organic, Low Sodium Chicken Broth
1 tsp cayenne pepper
1 tsp chili powder
1/2 tsp black pepper
1/2 tsp sea salt

Directions:
1. Bring 3 cups of water and 1 1/2 cups Brown Rice to boil in a pot over medium high heat. Once boiling, reduce heat to low, place a lid on pot and let cook for approximately 45 minutes.
2. In a large saute pan, heat 1 tbsp olive oil over medium heat. Once oil is warm, add onion, garlic and organic turkey sausage. Saute until onions brown and become clear.
3. In saute pan, add red beans, organic low-sodium chicken broth, cayenne pepper, chili powder, black pepper and sea salt. Stir together. Cook on medium for 30-45 minutes.

Serve bean/sausage combo over the brown rice and enjoy! Let me know what you think!

2 comments:

  1. Whenever you want to try stuffed peppers I am game for the recipe! I see all these recipes for them but none seem overly healthy

    ReplyDelete
  2. I actually have a healthy stuffed zucchini recipe you might like. I will have to find it an post it. I will keep my eye out for stuffed pepper recipes!

    ReplyDelete